Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Boys and Ketchup...


Is there a code of some kind that is located on the Y-chromosome that results in a love of ketchup? I remember while growing up my brothers would squirt a mountain of ketchup near the size of Mount McKinley to dip their homemade fries in. (Ah, yes- growing up in the 70’s and 80’s. Everything was fried in a Fry Daddy before consumption- grease was our friend! I remember the gadget Mom had to take real potatoes and slice them into fries and then fry them up in the Fry Daddy. We never felt guilt for this- not even once!)


Now I see the ketchup obsession shining through in my own boys. Eli will consume as much ketchup, ounce for ounce, as the food he’s dipping in the ketchup. Often the food item will be dipped and used more as a spoon to consume the ketchup over and over again until the food item is soggy to the point of disintegration and will then finally be eaten.
Ketchup is used with a lot of unconventional ketchup/food combinations in our home. The other day I saw Asher dipping his grapes in ketchup. The ketchup obsession seems to start young and Asher is deeply engrossed already.


As for myself, with no Y-chromosome, I don’t get it. I like a bit of ketchup on the usual ketchup-approved food items- hamburgers, hot dogs, French fries, etc. You will not find me even considering double-dipping or taking my grapes for a dip in a pool of ketchup before consumption.


I know that my boys are not alone in their love of ketchup. I remember in the movie “Big Daddy” when the young boy would squirt entire packets of ketchup into his mouth. I will not be introducing this idea to any of my children. Although if, heaven forbid, one day my sons are out living on the street - I guess they could survive by fast-food restaurant hopping to meet their daily caloric needs through consuming enough ketchup packets.


It’s one of the great mysteries of the kingdom- boys and their what seems to be physically driven need for major amounts of ketchup

No comments: