Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Palisade Attitude...




Camping- it’s one of those things we do because the kids love it so much! I like camping, too, I just don’t like being the Mom who is in charge of getting all of the equipment packed; the meals figured out, food bought, and prepared as much in advance as possible to make things easier while out in the wild; and the unpacking, endless laundry, and having dirt-filled boogers for days after getting home. My parents planned a week-long trip to Palisade State Park in June for all of us to go on and we were really looking forward to it. My brother Jed was flying in from Seattle and we love any chance we get to spend time with him. Palisade is a really fabulous place to camp at, especially with younger kids. My Mom always makes sure to get the campsite right across from the lake. There are no motorized vehicles allowed on the water and it has a great beach for the kids to play with sand toys on. The water is shallow for quite a ways out and the kids will play at the water all day long. I look forward to the time in the beach chair with a good book and soaking in some warm sun rays.


Asher checks out the fish Oakley caught

The thing I most appreciated about this trip was the time I was actually able to spend interacting with my kids. I didn’t get frustrated when Eli, for the 587th time that day says, “Look at me, Mom!” or when Asher wants to go on a walk or Oakley wants to play a game or the kids want to go to the play area to be pushed on the swing compared to while at home and trying in vain to get something accomplished, these requests sometimes, unfortunately, get annoying. At Palisade, because the pressures of home life are removed, I can just enjoy my children instead of trying to move down the to-do list that is always endless.

I tried my hand at fishing, with no luck. Oakley was the only one able to actually catch the tiny fish swimming in the Lake.

Our two mighty fishermen

I am trying to incorporate more “forgetting of the to-do list and enjoying my children while they’re still young and want to spend time with me” now that we’re at home. But I think it will continue to be a balance that I struggle with forever…


Eli - The Digger of Sand

Asher gets a free ride from Dad

Grandma always has lots of crafts to do

Oakley shows off his Rock Pet he made with Grandma

Asher entertained himself for the majority of the time throwing rocks in the Lake

We were so proud of Oakley when he learned to "Man his own Kayak"

The ducks were always glad to see us show up with some bread to share

And the real reason for it all ...
to exhaust the children!

Asher's face says it all - there just comes a point where we all know it's TIME TO GO HOME and sleep in our beds and get in a shower you don't have to wear flip-flops in.

Eli entertained himself on the way home by trying on his teddy bears clothes. The red tank top fits his bear much better!





No comments: