Thursday, June 26, 2008

Laundry is my Favorite...

There are a lot of fun jobs when it comes to maintaining our household. My least favorite is cleaning the kitchen floor. This is because the happiness of a clean floor is absolutely short-lived. Within what seems like nano-seconds, someone will tromp through with wet, muddy, and/or grassy shoes; spill a drink of some kind; or drop food from their chair. The floor looks the same or worse than before I swept and mopped it way too soon to find much pleasure in this job.



My favorite household job is folding the laundry because I get to SIT DOWN and WATCH TV!!! It is such a glorious thing. I am absolutely astounded at how quickly the laundry baskets are overflowing in each room. I find the jobs of hauling all six laundry baskets, sorting the clothes, and washing all nine million loads of clothes quite bearable knowing that I will soon be plopped on my bed watching a show I actually want to watch- not Teletubbies, Rug Rats, or Curios Geroge (Although I must admit I do find Sponge Bob quite entertaining.)



One of my favorite shows to watch right now is called "Jon and Kate Plus 8" It is a reality show of a family that first had twins, then 3 years later, wanting to add one more baby to the family, actually ended up added septuplets. My mind cannot even wrap around the whole idea of being pregnant with and giving birth to six babies at once, let alone actually caring for them after they were born. I think the reason I enjoy this show is it makes me appreciate how "easy" my life is in comparison. The episodes where all eight of the kids get the flu, potty training, trying to re-carpet the house, etc. make me realize how much harder it could be than having three little boys in four years. I also like this show a lot because I think Scott and my personalities are very much like Jon and Kate's. She's a bit bossy, but really gets things done and is very organized. Jon is amazing at how much he helps out, but he does tune Kate out quite a bit and does his own thing- only later to realize Kate was right. Kate does get a bit mean sometimes, as I know I do too. So that's another reason I enjoy the show so much- and I hope I learn to be a bit less like Kate in the sometimes too short and sharp tone she takes in her conversations with her husband.


The folding of the laundry is quite nice if the boys have kept themselves entertained with only reasonable house destruction and mess-making. Now actually getting the clothes from the folded piles to the drawers and closets is another story. The reward of being able to sit and enjoy a show is over and I struggle getting myself motivated for the final step....

No comments: