Thursday, June 26, 2008

Being a Rock Star...

Last week I had this moment when I was looking at Asher and realized just how grown up he is. I still refer to him as "Baby," but the reality is he is almost two! As I realized how soon we will be finished with the baby stage forever, I got a bit sentimental. One of the things that I know I will miss more than anything is the moment when I open the door to the nursery after naptime or in the morning, and see that cherubic face beaming at me with the, "I am so incredibly overjoyed to see you," look on their face. That is the moment that I feel like a total superstar. I am the rock star, the celebrity, the movie star of that Baby's world. Their face says it all, "There isn't anyone else in the whole entire world that I would rather see standing in my doorway."
A line from a movie I watched a few months ago continues to cycle through my brain a lot. In “The Nanny Diaries,” the Nanny (played by Scarlett Johansen) is letting the parents of the child “have it.” She is disgusted with the way this rich family that treats their son as if he’s an “accessory” and spend time with him only when convenient. She tells them there are only a few more years that their son will love them unconditionally and they are wasting that precious time. Since hearing that thought, I have thought, “How many more years do I get to be the Rock Star in my child’s world?” I remember my teenage years and how I treated my family worse than anyone else that I interacted with. How long until my boys would rather be with their friends than with me? At this stage of life, all my children want is to be with me. They are completely delighted so easily, they just want Mom to interact and spend time with them. They are just as happy playing a game of Sorry or swinging in the porch swing as they are at Disney Land.
This concept introduced by “The Nanny Diaries” has inspired me to enjoy the “doorway moments” more and realize that my celebrity status is not everlasting. I know my children will always love me - but it’s the boundless, never-ending, limitless, on your sleeve, unlimited, endless, infinite, ceaseless, without end love of a young child that isn’t forever.
I may keep Asher in his crib until he’s twelve- or he breaks the bottom out of the crib, whichever comes first, so that I can have more “Rock Star” mornings…

1 comment:

rebekahmott said...

I really like this blog Terah. It is nice to read on a day that it hard to remember why I wanted kids. Thanks for reminding me about my rock star status also!!!