Monday, May 10, 2010

The Weird Old Lady in Class...

I remember when I was a college student and there would be an "older" person enrolled in one of my classes, I would think, "Oh, how nice.  That lady is going back to school even though she's so old."  As of 27 April 2010, I'm the weird old lady in class.  I enrolled in a Exercise and Nutrition class at B.Y.U. just for the sake of educating myself.  I had a friend that teaches Health and while having lunch with her a few months ago, she was talking about this great conference she had just been to.  She mentioned the man who was teaching was a professor from B.Y.U. and I decided to email him and ask about a recommended reading list.  He said if I was really interested, I should enroll in his class.

I'm embarrassed to admit how much I LOVE this class!  I am the nerd who wants to sit on the front row, take a ton of notes, and hangs on every word from the professors mouth.  The human body is completely fascinating and it's been so fabulous to learn just for the sake of learning, not because I'm being forced to take a class so I can earn a degree.  I was nervous that that area of my brain had been out of use for too long.  Although definitely needing some awakening, the class isn't too academically demanding- so I'm easing back in.  I desperately miss challenging my intellect! 

I am looking forward to the day when I do achieve my goal of earning a PhD.  I will do it, oh yes, when I'm at the right season of my life.  As for right now, Mom being gone to a class 2 days a week for a couple of hours seems like scheduling a space shuttle launch.  Without the help of Scott and Grandma, this great experience couldn't have happened.  Grandma has stepped right in and shuttled kids to swimming lessons and Scouts and got them home and made them dinner- she is such a huge help!  Today Scott made me laugh when I reminded him he needed to take Oakley to piano lessons.  His response, "Take Oakley to piano AND make dinner?!?!?"  As if this was just too much for one human to be able to handle.  But he does it and doesn't complain- at least too much.

No comments: