Saturday, May 8, 2010

His Own Path...

The road to getting Oakley Scott Beeson as an official member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has not been smooth.  Preparing him specifically to be baptized started last fall when Scott and I tried to teach him, from the best of our memories, the basic principles of the missionary discussions during Family Home Evening.  Oakley seems to grasp, at least at an age-appropriate level, the basics of the gospel and was accepting and believing.  Then we started to focus FHE on baptism- what it is, why we do it, what we are promising, etc.  This is where to waters (no pun intended) became turbulent.

Oakley DOES NOT want to attend church meetings.  He DESPISES (am wanting for a stronger word here) Primary.  The child has had the very best teachers since the beginning of his Primary experience.  I honestly couldn't have hand-picked better teachers for him.  Divine intervention was my thinking.  Now I don't know what I think.  The battles about going to church start on Saturday and get intense.  By the time we actually get ourselves to Sacrament meeting, I am in a foul mood having spent hours arguing, threatening, and pleading with Oakley about going to church.  For a while he was attending Sunday School and Priesthood with Scott.  He actually listened to the lessons and could tell you what they were about.  His teachers and the Primary President put out a huge effort to get him to attend Primary, which he started to do.  What a relief!  Then, for a few weeks in  a row when we thought he was at Primary, he'd actually walked home, helped himself to some snacks and parked himself in front of the TV until the rest of us made it home over 2 hours later. (The funniest incident, in retrospect- not the day of, was when Oakley had talked Eli into walking home with him after Sacrament Meeting.  Those two hauled this big bag of entertainment and snacks that I bring in each week, hoping beyond hope there is enough entertainment contained therein to catch a few bit of the talks given by the speakers that day, all the way home.  When asked how they managed to carry it the whole way, there reply was simply, "We took turns carrying it."  Oh the picture that conjures up in my mind! It does make me smile- the teamwork involved in their devious act!) Arrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhh!!!  Back to square one....

I am a FIRM believer one does not get baptized just because one turns eight.  Especially in Oakley's case, there has to be an age-appropriate agreement to the promises one is making.  The promises one is making with Heavenly Father with the knowledge of the blessings He gives in return.  I wasn't expecting Oakley to have this General Authority level of understanding and commitment to the Gospel.  But he is old enough and mature enough to understand that when he is getting baptized, he is making a promise to Father in Heaven that he will attend Church as one of the basic requirements of Church membership.  I could sense some resistance by some to my theory.  I was grateful for the agreement by others, namely Bishop Hulbert.

Of course Oakley would say he wanted to be baptized.  That kid was all about having a whole special day focused on him and him being the center of a celebration.  That part was absolutely clear in his mind and he was very much committed to that.  But attending Church meetings, not so much.   It finally came down to him meeting and talking with the Bishop.  The Bishop said they did discuss the commitments of baptism and he said he felt Oakley was ready.  So 10 April 2010 Oakley Scott Beeson had his name added to The Church of Jesus Christ's membership record.

I did tell Oakley he could pick out a new suit for his big day.  He told me he wanted a jacket "with metal buttons and a red bow tie."  Are you aware of any other eight year olds who would make that same selection?  Oakley is his own man for sure.  I was able to find a navy blazer with brass buttons and a red bow tie.  When dressed up in his duds, he looked so much like a professor to me.  It tickles me how particular Oakley is about his clothes- he has definite tastes and is not easily swayed.  I think he looked great for his big day.



Oakley was absolutely beaming when he entered the font.  Scott and Oakley had gone to the Stake Center earlier to get dressed in their whites and Scott told me later that when Oakley had put on his white jumpsuit he said, "I hope this doesn't make me look fat."  Again, his super-consciousness about clothes made an appearance.  Scott assured him he looked great.

When Scott confirmed him, I was very impressed with the words of the blessing.  There is no doubt these are the words that were inspired by Heavenly Father that Oakley and his parents needed to hear.  The highlights we can remember are:

Father in Heaven is proud of the decision Oakley made to be baptized and that Oakley did not take lightly. He is also pleased with the commitment Oakley has shown to following the example of Christ. Oakley has been blessed with a strong will and admonished to use his will as a force for good in the world. He was also directed to always rely on Father in Heaven through faith and prayer. He was told he was a bright star in our family and he will lead the way by example for his brothers who look up to him. Oakley was instructed to please be kind and show an example to all those with whom he comes into contact.
Oakley's unbelievably wonderful Primary Teachers
Carrie Wilson and Mary Roskelley

There were two other children from our ward who were also baptized that day.  I tell you, they are the PERFECT families I always make a conscious effort to NOT sit by in Sacrament Meeting because all of their children are so much better behaved than mine.  I end up feeling like the worst mother ever if we sit by them and I see how quiet and perfect all those kids are during the entire meeting.  So, Murphy's Law always abiding, they end up being the two families we are with for Oakley's baptism.  I think we ended up being okay.  No major problems- whew!


After we finished up at the Stake Center, we came back to the house for a yummy lunch, visiting, and sighing a huge sigh of relief.  I'm going to have faith that my son will continue on his journey headed in the right direction, although it might not be in the exact way I choose, I will be happy if it is in the right direction.  While I was talking to my friend Tana about Oakley and asking for advice, hers, as usual, was insightful.  She said, "Everyone has their own path back to the Savior."  Yes, Oakley is on his own path.  I need to love and be supportive, but it is his own journey.
The "It's Great to Be Eight" cookie bouquets were a hit.
I'm sure it will become a Beeson Baptism tradition.

No comments: