Thursday, December 25, 2008

Because I'm Not Crafty...

I think "craftiness" skips a generation. To look at Mom and Aunt Karen and all the wonderful creations over the years, you would think they come from a long line of Crafty Annie's and would pass on the gene to their posterity. Grandma Moore and I have about the same level of "craftiness." We used to get together once a month for Craft Day. Craft Day usually ended up with Grandma and I doing really important things like getting another glue stick for the glue gun, keeping every one's water glasses filled with ice and water, cleaning paint brushes, and other "important" tasks while Karen and Mom would create the most elaborate things out of what seemed like a pile of nothing.


I remember being required to take a Home Ec. class during 7th grade. The first quarter we were supposed to learn to use a sewing machine and sew a few basic items. The grand finale project was a pair of shorts. I spent 90% of my class time unpicking anything I attempted to sew. I was so far behind, I had to come in after school. The deadline was approaching and I was nowhere near completion of what I'm sure were "destined for the catwalks of New York" shorts. My teacher was optimistic in the beginning, cheerfully helping me after school. But her patience did lessen with each passing day. When I sulked into class the day the shorts were due, I was taken by total surprise when I opened my bin and found my shorts completed. I have no doubt that Mrs. Keetch finished my shorts for me in an effort to free herself of the totally frustrating after-school help sessions. The second quarter wasn't much better. During that time we were supposed to learn the basics of cooking. That quarter ended with me starting the oven on fire and I'm sure the story is still being retold in the Home Ec. room of American Fork Junior High.


Over the years I have tried to improve on my domestic skills. I think I've much improved in the area of cooking- I haven't started the oven on fire since my junior high experience. I still can't sew, but I do venture a craft project every now and then. Because the majority of my time is spent in activities with no obvious result- the kids get messy again after I bathe them, the clothes get dirty after I launder them, the kitchen floor that has just been mopped is immediately in need of anther cleaning as soon as the kids eat again, etc. It's nice to have an actual "fruit of my labors" to touch and see.


This Christmas I ventured into the realm of magnet boards. I went to Swiss Days in Midway with Lee Ann and Tenille during the Fall. Lee Ann was looking at all of the magnet boards and was seriously thinking about buying one. I was outraged at the prices and told her I could make her one for Christmas. As the holidays were drawing near I wondered if I could really pull it off. Thanks to my darling neighbor who has a machine that will cut vinyl letters, the "Magnet Boards for Christmas 2008" became a reality. I found a quote that I liked and she gave me the little ideas that brought it all together. I was happy with the finished product and actually had fun doing it. I am starting to think about who else I could make one for...




I made one for Grandma Lee Ann and one for Grandpa B.
I painted the little stars and attached magnets to the back.

I put each of the grandkids name on a star- with blank stars for future grandkids who join the family!