Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Top Forty Music and Being Old...


Life continues to change in many ways. One of the ways that has certainly changed for me is that I couldn't tell you one song that is currently on the Top Forty chart. Not one. Now if you want a round of "Name That Tune" that includes any song from Blue's Clues, Barney, or The Wiggles - I've got anyone beat hands down. The fact that I am so far out of the Popular-New- Music-Loop was made extremely apparent when my friend, Ellen, called and invited me to a Jack Johnson concert. I immediately said yes because I knew I would like any concert that Ellen was going to, and then asked, "Who is Jack Johnson?" After Ellen picked herself and the phone up off the ground, a result of the shock of realizing I was really that pathetically out of the pop culture scene, she told me to listen to some of his music on the Internet and that she knew I would love it. She was right. After listening to his music on his website, I made a trip to Best Buy and purchased a couple of his Cd's.

The concert was fabulous! It brought back the memories of all those concerts we attended at the Salt Palace. We always wanted to have General Admission tickets so that we could be down in front of the stage. As exciting as it was as a teen to be completely smashed to near-suffocation in a crowd of drunk and stoned people, it really was crazy. The tops of my feet would be bruised for a week or so after from being stomped on. The ringing in my ears seems to go on for a day or two. The one really shocking fact that I think about now is how did we keep our hair from going up in flames with all of those lighters we were always holding up. We're talking the 80's hair- lethal amounts of Aqua Net sprayed to reach the perfect level of bouffant hair we all wanted. It truly was miraculous we never ended up with our hair on fire.

One especially memorable concert was Def Leppard. I couldn't keep my eyes off that one-armed drummer! They were all great in different ways: Van Halen, Bon Jovi, Poison - all of the rockers. We also loved Park West and seeing the more mellow crowd- UB40; Crosby, Stills, and Nash; Steve Miller Band; John Denver. Oh, my John Denver! The picture is still so clear in my mind. We ended up with fabulous tickets for him- 7th row and center. There was John- on that stage in beautiful Park City with the mountains in the background and John with his guitar singing away- for me, personally, I was sure.

Some day I will be more aware of the current music scene- maybe. But I am so glad Ellen introduced me to such a great musician. I do love his music. If you haven't heard of Jack Johnson because you have to listen to Barney's Greatest Hits or Scripture Scouts every time you're in the car, he's definitely worth checking out.

No comments: