Monday, August 11, 2008

Tooth Fairy Misses...



I’m trying not to feel too cheated, but I sort of do. Oakley lost his first tooth on Monday, July 21st while visiting Grandma Lee Ann in Idaho. While he was reporting this exciting news to me over the phone, I tried to convince him to wait until he got back home to put his tooth under his pillow. He told me he knew the Tooth Fairy could find him in Lava Hot Springs - and she did. Oakley put his tooth under his pillow that night and gleefully reported to me Tuesday morning that the Tooth Fairy had left a brand new $5 bill under his pillow. Wow! The Tooth Fairy pays well in Idaho. I know that Utah Tooth Fairy had no intention of paying that much. When I lost a tooth, I always received $1 bill and a pack of watermelon bubble gum. I was convinced the Tooth Fairy left me the sugary treat because she wanted me to rot the rest of my teeth so she could have them. I thought that the price for teeth may have doubled to $2 in the twenty-five years since I had a visit from the Fairy, but it looks like the price has quintupled. But the bar has been set and we don’t want to raise too many questions if the Tooth Fairy changes her policy based on the state of residence when the tooth was lost. We might have three little boys wanting to move to Idaho during the tooth-losing years.
All of these thoughts about the Tooth Fairy remind me of a funny dream my friend from Ricks College, Mike, used to have. He said in his dream he was on a date with the Tooth Fairy and all she ever wanted to do was sit and watch videos of dancing teeth. Mike said if he ever suggested another activity, she would refuse. He had this dream quite a few times and it made me laugh every time he re-told it.
Back to feeling cheated, I do feel like I've missed out on an important milestone- the first tooth lost by my off-spring. Thankfully they all three have a mouth full of teeth and I will get to be a part of many more jack-o-lantern, smile-making tooth losing experiences.

No comments: