Thursday, November 20, 2014

Surprise Anniversary Trip...

For our anniversary, Scott planned another surprise trip for me. When we got to the airport and Scott announced we were going to Mexico, I have to be honest that my first reaction was not great. So much of what we hear about Mexico on the news is about all the drug wars and kidnappings. Mexico does not have a great reputation. I remember our trips to Mexico with my Uncle Doug and always being very leary whenever we were crossing the border or shopping in Tiajuana. The times we'd been on cruises to Mexico, each of the ports had been filled with desperately poor children trying to sell trinkets. It was very heart wrenching and not a great experience that I wanted to have again. But I put on my happiest face and was just looking forward to time with Scott to celebrate our anniversary.

On our flight, Scott told me more about this city, Guanajuato, that we were going to. It was a new city that SkyWest had just started flying to. Others at work had been talking about how fantastic it was. I was still leery - until we arrived. Never has there been a quicker 180 degree turnaround. The taxi dropped us off at the neighborhood square and we made our way through the narrow streets where cars weren't allowed to our gorgeous little house. It was late, but not too late that we didn't want to get out and explore. We dropped off our suitcases and figured out how to walk to the center of town. This is where a major miscommunication happened and the night for one of us became a very stressful situation. Scott told me he was going to use the bathroom before we headed out. I thought he heard me when I said I was going to start out and he could catch up. The walk to the main plaza was just a few minutes away. I was so enthralled with the beauty of the buildings and enjoying the happy people and all the activity going on, it took me a while before I realized how much time had passed since I saw Scott. I made my way back to our house and Scott looked like he was near-death. He hadn't heard me when I said I was going to start out and he was just certain I'd been kidnapped. He thought maybe the man that we rented the house from, whose house was next store, had come and taken me. He had no idea and was dying over the thought of having to call my parents and tell them I was missing. I felt incredibly guilty for how shaken up he was. Once he had a few minutes to settle down and I apologized profusely, we went out together.

Although it was my first time in Guanajuato, I immediately fell in love with the city and felt like I belonged. This area of Mexico does not have the poverty, drug, and gang issues like so many other areas of Mexico. It's a middle class city with a large university and gorgeous theatre where many productions are held. I loved the darling house Scott had rented and the entire trip I couldn't help but thinking about how soon I could come back and bring the boys. Scott had definitely found our new favorite destination.












No comments: