Saturday, October 17, 2009

Big Boy Bed = No Sleep for Parents...


Being forced to let Asher sleep in a regular bed has had dire consequences- most notably NOT NAPPING!!! He's at my bedside multiple times a night, so I am exhausted anyway. While in his crib, he took a 3 hour nap. Since he can so easily get out of bed now, he does. He does not nap! He went from a 3 hour nap to NOTHING! I wonder if he was plotting all summer. Could he read my mind? Did he know how I was almost giddy with the thought of Eli being in school from 12:30-3:30, the same time he usually napped? Three hours to myself! I could hardly wait. Almost to the day school started, Asher had to be in a bed instead of a crib. I've tried every intervention I know. Finally I told him he had to stay in his room for "Quiet Time." He didn't have to nap, he could look at books and play with toys. Well, he did everything but that. He completely destroyed his room instead! The first time was a huge mess, but didn't take too long to get everything back into the closet and drawers. The second time, in addition to throwing everything from the drawers and closet he could reach, he also emptied an entire bottle of baby powder all over everything. This about put me in the fetal position in the corner. This kid is killing me!
I'm now looking into a preschool for him in the afternoon. I need a break from the Tasmanian Devil. Will all of this seem funny someday? I'm thinking when he has a son of his own who makes a path of destruction everywhere he goes, I'll get a good laugh of my own finally.