Sunday, October 12, 2008

6:15 a.m. and Ready to Sled...

I don't know, if given the choice, if Eli would pick a day of sledding or a day at Disneyland. It would be a tough choice for him I think.

The first snow of the season graced us with it's presence this morning. Eli had every article of snow apparel spread all over the entire main floor of the house and was at my bed side begging me to go and get the sleds out of the shed for him - and it was only 6:15 a.m. I have a love/hate relationship with snow. I love that the kids find it to be such a wonderful source of entertainment. I hate that it takes a minimum of 30 minutes to get them all geared up to go outside and play- finding matching gloves, boots that fit, getting the fingers in the right holes of gloves, and each child wanting to be ready first- all demanding that I help them right now. After this process that seems way too long, all too soon they are back in the house ignoring my commands to stop at the door and put all of their wet things on the mat. Instead they are wandering through the house, leaving a trail of snow and wet with every step, looking for me and asking for hot chocolate. Then the job of getting all of the wet clothes spread out to dry so they'll be ready for the next "fun" snow day.These are the mornings I wrestle with my selfish self. To be honest, I was not bright and cheery as I was enduring the "children going out to play in snow" routine. What I really wanted to do was get a fire going, make some hot chocolate, and read the Sunday paper. I was mad that this is not what I was going to be able to do and really wanted to. (How's that for a two-year-old mentality?!?!) Once we were actually outside sledding, I did find much happiness in watching Eli sled down the hill smiling from ear-to-ear and listening to him giggle. It was quite entertaining to watch Asher try and move in his snow clothes. He waddled around, unable to bend any limb because of the bulk of the clothing. When he was getting into the sled, he would just sort of fall into it because he couldn't actually bend enough to climb in. I know the day is not too far distant when I will look out my front window on a snowy day and see other young children sledding down the hill. I may actually be drinking hot chocolate and reading the paper because my kids are too old to want to go sledding anymore. How will I feel then? Probably longing for mornings like this when my small children thought freshly fallen snow was as wonderful as Christmas morning and wishing I was digging through the bin trying to find another set of matching gloves- but if they could just wait until 9:00!


Asher could barely waddle in his snow clothes. If he fell over, he couldn't get up without help. But he was warm!

Asher discovered it was much easier to just slide down the hill on this stomach after he kept slipping and falling when he tried to walk.



Eli wanted to teach Asher all "the ropes" of sledding. He was teaching each step in the process and always made sure Asher had an equal number of turns on the sled.